Course Reserves Instructions for Faculty
NOTE: Course textbooks, including required reading titles, that cost at least $40 are automatically purchased and placed on print reserve. If your required reading materials cost at least $40 each, you need do nothing futher. To place material on reserve that costs less than $40, follow the instructions below.
Submit course reserves with the Course Reserve Form
Print Reserves (books, films, music CDs)
- Allow 2 weeks for processing OR 3-4 weeks for items that are checked out, missing, lost, or need to be ordered.
- Personal copies may be placed on reserve until the Library copy becomes available.
- Print reserves may be carried over from semester to semester. Notify Course Reserves if you need a reserve title longer than one semester.
- Only one copy of required titles will be placed on reserve.
Films and music CDs may be placed on reserve at the 5th floor Media and Equipment Desk for a maximum of one week.
- Alternatively, you can request media (films and CDs) for classroom use and/or schedule a class viewing.
- Journals, magazines, newspapers, and special collections materials cannot be held in the print reserve collection.
- Personal copies of visual and audio multimedia are restricted by copyright, contact Course Reserves for more information.
- Photocopies and materials from other libraries cannot be placed on print reserve.
- The Library will send you an email when your request has been processed.
Electronic Reserves (journal articles, book chapters)
- Please allow 2 weeks for your request to be processed.
- Materials not covered by fair use require additional processing to obtain copyright clearance. Copyright clearance will be requested for you by library staff.
- Items that may not be placed on Electronic Reserves:
- Pages from works intended to be "consumable" such as workbooks, exercises, standardized tests, and test booklets.
- An entire book.
- Sound and video files.
- Electronic files may be emailed as attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electronic reserves are not carried over from semester to semester. Please submit a new Course Reserves Form for the current semester.
- The Library will send you an email to notify you when your request has been processed. This email will also include:
- The password your students will need to access the Electronic Reserves system.
- The URL to your Electronic Reserves page.
- The Library reserves the right to deny any materials based on copyright consideration.
Please contact Course Reserves or call (312) 369-7152.
The Library reserves the right to change procedures based upon information regarding copyright laws and universal library reserves practices.